Green Tara is one of the most beloved practices in the Vajrayana and is a good entree into yidam practice. In 2022 we are offering a special step-by-step series of classes and workshops designed for beginners, to help you get a good grounding in every aspect of this important practice.
Though most of the classes can be taken individually, they are most effective when taken in sequence, and all completed. Most classes in the series are recorded as video so you can catch up should you miss one, and so you can easily review the content as often as needed. All students, new and continuing are welcome. We understand that your life is busy—and we ‘chunk’ the learning into manageable pieces.
The classes and self-learning modules in the series include, but are not limited to
- Introduction to Yidam Practice
- The Structure of a Sadhana
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through Mantra
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through the 21 Praises
- Getting to Know the 21 Taras and Their Functions
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through the Green Tara Thangka
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through the Seed Syllable TAM
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through Making a Green Tara Tentor (optional hands-on workshop)
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through Working with the Text
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through Visualization
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through the Practice: Level I
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through the Practice: Level II
- Getting to Know Green Tara Through the Practice: Level III
- Getting to Know Green Tara though Liturgical Music
- Getting to Know Green Tara through a Green Tara Retreat
Students will learn to do the entire long version of the practice, which is most appropriate for beginners.
The tuition for this program is $350. It does not include tuition for an an optional Green Tara retreat at the end of the program. Tuition can be paid over time or all at once. (Tuition for this series is included in the Vajra Heart Prorgam if you are enrolled.)
Once you have registered for the program, you’ll received invitations to each class, the handouts, recordings of classes and more. Scholarships are available to those who volunteer at Dekeling and practice with the community regularly. To inquire about scholarships, please contact Lama Lekshe.
Lama Palden says, “Tara…is the most beloved by Tibetans of all the female awakened beings. Tara is known as “she who ferries beings across the ocean of samsara.” She is fully enlightened and is inseparable from genuine reality, or true nature, the dharmakaya. She rushes to the aid of beings when we call upon her with heartfelt devotion.
Peaceful and wrathful, beautiful and powerful, Tara is the actuality of wisdom and compassion. She is sensual and sexual, empty yet fully manifest, and as real as we are. She transcends dualistic limitations and leads us beyond duality to the infinite bliss and emptiness that is our true nature.”